- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Butter or oil, for greasing
Sift together the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
Heat a pan or cast-iron skillet over medium until hot. Brush lightly with butter or oil. Spoon the batter (about 1/4 cup) onto the skillet. Cook until bubbles appear along the surface, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, 1 to 2 additional minutes. The pancakes should be neither too dark nor too pale. Adjust the heat as needed so that they brown evenly. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm with honey or syrup and topped with fruit with additional nutritional benefit like blueberries, blackberries or pomegranates.