- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pinch fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon split chana dal (also called Bengal gram lentils)
- 1 teaspoon split black gram (also called urad dal or black lentil)
- 4 tablespoons roasted peanuts, out of their shells
- 2 to 3 dried red chiles, left whole
- 10 curry leaves,* torn in half
- 1 rounded teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 12 ounces freshly cooked basmati rice
- *Can be found in specialty Asian markets
Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick frying pan. Add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, chana dal, black gram, and the chiles, and stir-fry until lightly browned.
Add the peanuts, chiles, curry leaves, ginger, ground turmeric, and salt, to taste, and cook for about 40 seconds. Stir in the lemon juice, and cook for another minute before adding the cooked rice. Stir-fry the ingredients to heat through, being careful not to break up the rice grains too much.
To serve the rice, divide the mixture between warm serving plates.