- 4 large red or green peppers, halved, stems removed, and seeded
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 handfuls frozen peas
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 9 ounces fresh paneer (fresh lacto-vegetarian cheese), crumbled
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Handful fresh chopped cilantro leaves
- Water, as needed
- 7 ounces basmati rice, cooked according to package instructions, to serve
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the pepper halves onto a sheet pan, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until softened. Once the peppers are cooked, remove them from the oven, and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a nonstick pan. Add the cumin seeds, and fry for 20 to 30 seconds, or until the seeds are fragrant. Add the chopped onion, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, ginger, peas, beans, salt, turmeric, chile powder, coriander, and garam masala, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tomatoes have softened, and reduced to a pulp.
Add the crumbled paneer, and the water, and stir until well combined. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the heavy cream, and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Simmer the mixture until heated through.
Add the chopped cilantro, and continue to simmer the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes, adding tablespoons of water as necessary to stop the sauce from drying out as the paneer absorbs the liquid.
Preheat a grill to its highest setting and lightly oil the grates. While the grill is heating up, fill each of the roasted pepper halves with the paneer mixture. When the grill is hot, grill the stuffed peppers until the paneer mixture is golden brown.
To serve the dish, place one or two stuffed pepper halves onto each serving plate, and spoon a portion of basmati rice alongside each.