Asian Pear Salad with Tamari Pecans and Maytag Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons pear or cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Pear Syrup, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon Extra-Virgin O Lemon Oil or unflavored extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups mixed bitter salad greens, such as baby mustard, lovage, arugula, dandelion, and mizuna
- 1/4 cup chopped tamari pecans, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup dried currants or chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup crumbled chilled blue cheese (recommended: Maytag)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ripe Asian pear, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and syrup. Whisk in the oil and set aside.
Toss the salad gently and briefly; you do not want the cheese to crumble any further and clump together.
Divide the salad among 4 chilled salad plates. Fan the pear slices over each serving.
3 cups pear juice
Let cool to room temperature. Use now or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Yield: 1/3 cup
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a shallow bowl, stir the tamari and molasses together to blend. Season with cayenne and salt, to taste.
Spread the pecans on a wire rack set on a baking sheet and roast for about 10 minutes, or until fairly dry and toasted.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely on the rack. Chop the pecans into 1/4-inch pieces.
Yield: 1 cup