Aunt Chelle's Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 pounds elbow macaroni
- 10 ounces (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded yellow American cheese
- 3 cups shredded gouda
- 5 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook until al dente, 8 to 9 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, in a 4-quart pot, melt 2 sticks of the butter over low heat and then add the flour, mustard powder, seasoned salt, salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking, and cook until thickened and smooth, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the American and gouda cheeses along with 4 cups of the Cheddar until melted and thoroughly combined. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well.
Pour the macaroni mixture into a 3-quart baking dish and dot with the remaining 1/2 stick butter. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup Cheddar on top, then sprinkle with the smoked paprika. Bake until the cheese is browned on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.