Bacon and Egg Salad with Truffle Vinaigrette
- 3 heads frisee, inner white part only, washed well and spun dry
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon white truffle oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Place the frisee in a large bowl. Set aside.
Make the dressing: Heat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and the bacon. Cook until the bacon is lightly browned, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add the shallots and the remaining oil, lower the heat to medium and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the vinegar. Raise the heat and simmer for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and whisk in the truffle oil. Set aside.
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Break one egg at a time into the boiling water. Poach for about 2 minutes for a runny egg, longer if desired.
While the eggs are poaching, pour the warm dressing over the frisee. Sprinkle with the parsley and toss to combine. With a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the water one at a time. Pat dry on a clean kitchen towel. Place on the frisee. Serve immediately.