Bacon Double-Cheeseburger Pizza
- 8 medium cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces extra-lean ground beef or sirloin
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak spice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely ground cornmeal
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- 3/4 cup jarred all-natural tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup jarred all-natural BBQ sauce
- 1 cup shredded low-fat aged cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
- 1/3 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons yellow or Dijon mustard (or combination of the two)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
When a Steven and Chris viewer challenged me to create a healthy pizza, I wanted to make one that tasted like junk food but was actually good for you. Lots of pizza joints have bacon double-cheeseburger pizza, so that was the perfect choice! I cut some of the fat in the beef by swapping half of it for cremini mushrooms and using my mom's burger-enhancing secret ingredient, Worcestershire sauce, along with steak spice to amp up the beefy goodness. The Greek yogurt-mustard sauce brings the whole dish together. The result? The S&C crew gobbling it up faster than I've ever seen, and everyone exclaiming that it tasted like a fast-food burger, but better! Mission accomplished.
Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
In a food processor, finely chop mushrooms, yellow onion and garlic.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and steak spice and cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, for 8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and no liquid remains in bottom of pan. Add mushroom mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is fragrant and liquid is evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper.
Line a large (about 11- 16-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper, mist with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Stretch dough to fit sheet.
Mix tomato and BBQ sauces together and spread in an even layer onto pizza dough. In a bowl, combine the cheddar and mozzarella, then sprinkle half the cheese mixture overtop the sauces. Spread beef mixture over cheese. Top with remaining cheeses, red onion, tomatoes and bacon.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until crust is golden and cheese is golden brown.
While pizza is baking, combine yogurt and mustard. To serve, slice pizza, drizzle with yogurt sauce and top with shredded lettuce.