Bahamian Conch Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh conch, cleaned and peeled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 2 romaine hearts, separated into leaves, for serving
- 24 slices crostini, homemade or store-bought, for serving
- 8 lime wedges, for serving
With a sharp knife, cut the conch into 1/4-inch pieces. Transfer to a mixing bowl and cover with the lemon and orange juice. Add the onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, habanero, celery, black pepper and hot sauce. Mix well with a rubber spatula. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour before serving to allow all the ingredients to marinate.
Serve with romaine leaves, warm crostini and lime wedges.