Beans and Greens Spaghetti
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch or small head of cooking greens (such as escarole, Swiss chard or kale), washed and roughly chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 (15- to 19-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 cup basil leaves, chopped
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, to garnish (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta to the water and cook to al dente according to package directions. Before draining the cooked pasta, reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking water from the pot. Drain the cooked pasta well and reserve.
While the pasta is cooking, place a large high-sided skillet over moderate heat with the olive oil. Add the shallot and garlic to the skillet and cook until tender and aromatic, about 2 minutes. Add the greens and beans to the skillet along with the reserved 1/4 cup of pasta cooking water, season with salt and pepper and place a lid on the skillet. Cook the greens, stirring occasionally, until wilted and heated through, about 5 minutes.