- 3/4 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 4 bird chiles, optional
- 4 teaspoons chili flakes
- 10 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 lemongrass stalks, sliced
- About 1-pound lean beef top round, sliced into 1-centimeter pieces
- About 1-pound pork belly, sliced into 1-centimeter pieces
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
Cut the bird chiles into 2-centimeter-long pieces and soak in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes to soften. Place the shallots, garlic, lemongrass, and bird chiles in a food processor and pulse. (If you want a hotter rending, add more chiles. Or for a milder one, use less.) With the processor running, add 1/2 cup water and process until a paste forms.
In a heavy pan, add the prepared chili paste, beef, pork belly, coconut milk and about 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced and thick, about 30 minutes.