Beet and Carrot Slaw
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 1 large beet, julienned
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
Put the lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, onions, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Grind in a spice grinder until fine. Add the honey, ground cumin, paprika and cayenne to the bowl. Whisk in the olive oil in a thin stream.
Add the carrots, beets and cilantro to the dressing. Toss. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.