Baked Chinese Rice with Peas and Ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 head (about 1 to 1 1/4 pounds) Chinese cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and julienned
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 1 cup short-grain rice, rinsed
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro leaves
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. In a large flame and ovenproof casserole dish, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and ginger, and stirring frequently, cook until the cabbage is just wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season the cabbage mixture with the sea salt, add the rice wine, and stir to combine. Add the rice and toss to coat it in the oil. Pour in the water and bring everything to a boil, then cover the dish and slide it into the oven for 20 minutes.
When the rice is tender, remove the dish from the oven and fold in the peas. Cover the dish again, and set the rice aside to steam for another 10 minutes.
To serve: fluff the rice with a fork or chopsticks, and sprinkle with the cilantro.