Black Bean Salad with Spicy Crispix (TM) Croutons
- 2 cups Kellogg's (R) Crispix (R) cereal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 10 to 12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup bottled vinaigrette, divided or Chili Lime Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 1 package (5 oz.) salad greens
For croutons, in a 1-gallon zipper-type plastic bag, combine KELLOGG'S CRISPIX cereal, chili powder, cumin, and garlic salt. Pour vegetable oil or butter over cereal mixture. Seal bag and gently toss until evenly coated. Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
In a large bowl combine beans, corn, tomatoes, chiles, onion, and half the cilantro. Toss with 1/3 cup vinaigrette; cover and chill 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. Place greens on platter. Arrange bean salad over greens. Top with remaining cilantro and cereal croutons.
Serve with remaining vinaigrette (if desired). Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.