Black Pepper Crusted Filet Mignon with Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper-Ancho Salsa
- Roasted Red Pepper and Ancho Salsa:
- 2 ancho chiles
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 grilled red bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Black Pepper Crusted Filet Mignon with Goat Cheese:
- 4 filet mignon, 8 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh goat cheese, cut into 4 slices
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
Roasted Red Pepper and Ancho Salsa:
Place the ancho chiles in a medium bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the bell pepper strips, vinegar, cilantro, salt and pepper. Cover and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours before serving.
Brush the filets with the oil and season both sides of each filet with the salt and 1 side of each filet with the black pepper. Place the steaks on the grill, pepper side down and grill until lightly charred and crusty, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the steaks over, and grill for 2 to 3 minutes longer for medium-rare.
Turn the steaks, once more so that the pepper side is facing up and top each filet with a slice of the cheese. Close the cover and grill until the cheese begins to melt slightly, about 1 minute.
Remove the steaks from the grill, let rest for 5 minutes. Top each filet with the roasted red pepper-ancho salsa. Garnish with cilantro leaves, before serving.