Blue Corn Muffins
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapenos, minced
- 3/4 cup grated mild Cheddar
- 3 ounces cream cheese or fresh, mild goat cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup blue cornmeal, preferably stone-ground (may substitute yellow cornmeal)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 24 (4-inch) strips of fresh or dried corn husks
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease the muffin tins. Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer or food processor. Add the eggs, milk, jalapenos, and cheeses, mixing well after each addition. Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Spoon the dry mixture into the batter about 1/3 at a time, again mixing well after each addition. Stir in the poppy seeds at the end.
Line each muffin tin with 2 criss-cross strips of corn husks. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.