Blue Crabs with White Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 24 blue crabs, cleaned (see Cook's Note)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Two 12-ounce bottles or cans of pilsner or pale lager beer
- Italian bread, sliced for serving
Special equipment: a stockpot
Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the crabs, Old Bay seasoning, mustard, garlic powder, garlic salt and Italian seasoning and stir to coat the crabs. Add the beer and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and steam the crabs, stirring occasionally, until they are red, about 20 minutes. Serve hot with the beer broth and bread for dipping.
NotesCook's Note: Have a fish monger clean the crabs for you.
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.