Cake and Spoon's Zucchini Cake with Lemon Glaze and Walnuts
- Unsalted butter, for greasing pans
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour, plus more for flouring pans
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fresh zucchini (preferably locally grown)
- 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts, plus extra, for topping
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
For the zucchini cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round or 8-inch square cake pans, or one 13- by 9-inch rectangular cake pan.
Into a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, lemon zest and eggs. Using a rubber spatula, stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Fold in the shredded zucchini and chopped walnuts. Spread the cake batter evenly in the desired cake pans.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back slightly when touched and just pulls away from the side of the pan, 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove the cakes from the pans when completely cooled.
To assemble: Brush the bottom cake layer with the lemon glaze and apply a layer of cream cheese icing. Top with the second layer and repeat with the glaze and icing. Top with toasted walnuts.