Candy Cane Kissed Peppermint Patties
- 14 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon light cream
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream 10 tablespoons of the butter with the sugars in a medium bowl, and then beat in the vanilla and egg yolk. Add the flour and cocoa and beat until smooth. Transfer the dough to wax paper and roll into a 10-by-2-inch log. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Slice the dough into 1/4-inch rounds and flatten gently on a baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes, and then let cool 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cream the remaining 4 tablespoons butter with the confectioners' sugar, peppermint extract and 1 teaspoon of the cream until smooth. Spread about 2 teaspoons of peppermint cream each over half of the cookies and close with a plain baked cookie.
Melt the chocolate chips with the remaining cream in a small saucepan, adding more cream to make it smooth but not runny. Spread over half of the cookies and top with the candy canes while the chocolate is still wet.