Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese
- 1 head (1 1/2 pounds) cauliflower, core discarded, florets cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 medium (10 ounces) carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne (ground red) pepper
- 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces (3 cups) small broccoli florets
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat 8-quart sauce pot of salted water to boiling on high. Add cauliflower and carrots to boiling water. Cook 15 minutes or until very tender.
Add pasta to same sauce pot of boiling water. Cook half the time that label directs; adding broccoli during last minute of cooking. Drain; return to pot. Stir in cauliflower sauce and half of tomatoes. Spread in 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and tomatoes.
Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown on top and heated through.