Chicken Fajita Crescent Braid
- 1 (8-ounce) can Pillsbury(R) Crescent Recipe Creations(R) refrigerated seamless dough sheet
- or 1 (8-ounce) can Pillsbury(R) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 by 1/2 by 1/2-inch strips
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (2 by 1 by 1/4-inch) green or red bell pepper strips
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend (8 ounces)
- 1 egg white, beaten
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a large cookie sheet with cooking spray. If using crescent rolls, unroll the dough and press into 12 by 8-inch rectangle, firmly pressing perforations to seal. If using the crescent dough sheet, unroll the dough and press into a 12 by 8-inch rectangle.
In a 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken strips and stir in garlic, chile powder, and salt. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the onion and bell pepper strips and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink in center and vegetables are crisp-tender.
Spoon the chicken mixture in 4-inch strip lengthwise down center of rolled out dough. Top with salsa and sprinkle with cheese. With scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1-inch apart on long sides of dough within of 1/2-inch filling. Alternately cross strips over the filling and press edges to seal. Brush with egg white.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the dough is deep golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into slices.