Beef with Broccoli
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 pound beef sirloin, sliced to 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 4 ounce tender baby broccoli florets, blanched (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 to 2 tablespoons light soy
- 1 teaspoon dark soy
- 1/4 cup hot vegetable stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch, blended with 2 tablespoons cold water
Heat a wok over high heat and add the oil. When the oil begins to smoke, add the garlic and Sichuan peppercorns and stir-fry quickly for a few seconds.
Add the beef and let it settle for a moment. As it starts to turn brown, after a minute or so, add the broccoli florets and the rice wine. Stir-fry for a few seconds.
Season the beef and broccoli with the honey, light soy and dark soy.
Add in the vegetable stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch and water mixture and cook to thicken, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.