General Tso Chicken Wings
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup yellow bean paste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Asian chile sauce, such as sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds chicken wings, separated at the joints
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 dried red chiles, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
In a bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, bean paste, ketchup, 6 tablespoons cornstarch, chile sauce, honey, light soy sauce, brown sugar, dark soy sauce and garlic. Add the chicken wings to the bowl, toss and let marinate for 1 hour.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a large saucepan or deep-fryer.
In a bowl, combine the 2 cups cornstarch, and the sesame seeds, dried chiles, salt and pepper. Remove the wings from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and dredge in the cornstarch mixture, coating well.
Working in batches, deep-fry the wings until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
Pour the reserved marinade into a saucepot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened. Serve as a dipping sauce for the wings.