Spiced Chicken and Shrimp "Egg" Rolls
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 organic chicken thigh, de-skinned, de-boned, sliced into long thin strips
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 4 large shrimp, shells and tails removed, deveined
- 1 tablespoon Shaosing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch slurry (1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water)
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 free-range or organic eggs
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 dried shitake mushrooms, pre-soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, drained, stalks removed, sliced
- 1 spring onion, julienned
- 1/2 small handful beansprouts
- 1/2 small carrot, julienned
- 1/4 red pepper, deseeded, julienned
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
FRYING AND ASSEMBLY:
For the filling: Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil, give it a swirl, and then add the ginger and garlic and toss for a few seconds. Then add the chicken strips and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Chinese five-spice powder and toss well. Stir in the shrimp and cook for 1 minute, and then pour in the Shaosing rice wine and cook until absorbed. Stir in the soy sauce, slurry and sriracha and toss well. Transfer to a plate to cool.
For the egg crepe: Crack one of the eggs into a bowl and lightly beat with a fork or chopstick. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper. Heat a small pan or wok over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the beaten egg mixture and swirl around to make a thin egg "crepe". Gently cook for 1 minute, then flip and cook until lightly browned. Remove from the wok and set aside. Repeat with the remaining egg and oil.
For the vegetables: Mix together the mushrooms, onions, beansprouts, carrots and red peppers in a large bowl. Reheat a wok and add some peanut oil. Add the vegetables and oyster sauce, toss well, and cook for less than 1 minute. Remove, drain and set aside.
For frying and assembly: Heat the oil in a deep pot or wok over medium-high heat until hot. Lay 2 pieces of the spring roll wrapper out onto a flat surface in a diamond shape. Place one egg crepe right in the middle. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the filling into the center and top with the stir-fried vegetables. Brush over the wrapper edges with the beaten egg using a pastry brush; this helps stop the spring rolls from bursting open while frying. Fold each of the opposite corners in over the filling and roll the wrapper into a cigar shape. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fillings.