Vegetable Lettuce Wraps (Sin Cai Bao)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- One 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained and finely diced
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, blanched and thinly sliced
- 9 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 medium red Fresno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large green onion, green part only, finely chopped
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 small mandarin oranges, clementine oranges or tangerines, segmented
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, finely chopped or ground
Heat a wok over high heat and add the vegetable oil. Stir-fry the ginger and garlic until fragrant, less than 1 minute. Add the carrots and stir-fry until tender, 2 minutes. Toss in the bamboo shoots, asparagus and mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with the soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce and toasted sesame oil and stir well.
Arrange the butter lettuce leaves on a plate and divide the mixture among the leaves. Garnish each cup with a sprinkle of chopped chiles, green onion, cilantro, Mandarin oranges and chopped roasted peanuts and serve.
Cook's Note: 1/2 cup canned Mandarin orange segments could be used in place of the 3 segmented oranges.
SERVINGS: 4 (MAIN); Calories: 228; Total Fat 12 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 grams; Protein: 9 grams; Total carbohydrates: 26 grams; Sugar: 14 grams Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 946 milligrams