Chocolate Caramel Monkey Bread Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour (if you don't have self-rising flour you can use 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour + 1 tablespoon baking powder + 3/4 teaspoon salt)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chocolate chips, may need more for top
CINNAMON SUGAR TOPPING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
In a large bowl, blend the flour, butter and sugar together until it resembles coarse meal, but there are a few pea-size pieces of butter left intact.
Add the buttermilk, combine until it is evenly wet.
Put the biscuit dough on a floured surface and press it together into a rectangle.
Sprinkle with more flour and roll into a 1/2-inch-thick rectangle. Cut the dough into 48 even pieces. Place two chocolate chips on each and gently pinch the dough around the chips.
Place 4 of the small biscuits in each muffin cup. Over low heat, melt the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup together in a small saucepan. Cook until the sugar seems to be dissolved, you will need to whisk to keep the butter from separating. Spoon half the mixture evenly over the biscuits.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown and set in the middle.
When the caramel is warm and smooth, spoon it evenly over the hot biscuits. Let them cool slightly before serving, but they should be eaten slightly warm.