Chocolate-Espresso Morning Buzz Granola
- 6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups skin-on almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped chocolate-covered espresso beans, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
3. Mix the butter, brown sugar, and honey in a large pot and cook over medium heat just until the butter melts, the sugar dissolves, and the mixture bubbles around the edges. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Add the oat mixture to the pot and stir with a wooden spoon until all the nuts and grains are well coated.
4. Spread the mixture evenly onto 2 large baking sheets, leaving a few clumps here and there with spaces between them. Bake until the top of the granola is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove and break up the pieces slightly. Return the pans to the oven, rotating their positions on the racks for even cooking, and continue baking for another 15 minutes. Break up the pieces again, rotate the pans once more, and continue baking until the granola is golden brown and dry, about 10 minutes more.
5. Remove from the oven. Sprinkle the chocolate espresso beans over the top and stir together on the baking sheets. Cool the pans completely on a rack before packaging. Alternatively, store in an air-tight container for up to 1 month.
Copyright 2011 Cooking Channel, LLC. All rights reserved.