- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 small to medium red bliss potatoes, skin on, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups clam juice
- One 51-ounce can chopped sea clams, liquid reserved
- 10 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a very large pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the celery, onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the potatoes, clam juice and the liquid from the canned clams. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the half-and-half and flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly stir the half-and-half mixture into the chowder, stirring constantly. Add the clams and increase the heat to bring the mixture back to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Lower the heat and stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve.