Coconut Dream Cookies
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (see Cook's Note)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 2 teaspoons hot water
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips (see Cook's Note)
- 1 cup dried cherries (put them in a small bowl and snip them in half with kitchen scissors)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the milk, vanilla and baking soda mixture. Combine the flour, salt and cinnamon and slowly add to the butter mixture. Fold in the coconut, chocolate chips and cherries.
Drop mounds of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until the edges are lightly browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Cook's Notes: Don't use butter directly from refrigerator. If you use salted butter, omit the salt in the recipe.
I generally use 1 cup dark chocolate chips, 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips.