Cod and Chinese Celery Soup: Canh Ngot Ca Mu
- 6 Chinese celery stalks
- 2 long red chiles, sliced, plus more for garnish
- 6 spring onions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 quarts (64 ounces) fish stock or water
- 1 whole cod (about 2 pounds), cleaned and chopped into 1-inch cutlets
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup fish sauce, plus more to serve
- 3 tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Juice of 2 limes
- Jasmine rice, to serve
Pick the leaves off the celery stalk and reserve for later use. Cut the celery stalk into 2-inch lengths. In a mortar, combine the celery, chile, spring onion (white part only), and garlic then slightly pound into a coarse paste.
Pour the fish stock into a large pot and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Now add the tomatoes, celery leaves, and spring onions (green parts) and cook for another 5 minutes. Take the pot off the heat and transfer to a large bowl, then add the bean sprouts, and lime juice and stir.