Cod in Charmoula Sauce
FISH AND VEGETABLES:
- 1 pound medium red boiling potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green and yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 pounds haddock or cod fillets, skinned and cut into 6 pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Charmoula Sauce:
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup olive oil
To make the fish and vegetables: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Prick each potato once with a fork, then rub potatoes with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Roast on a baking sheet in middle of oven until just tender, about 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Leave oven on.
Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute bell peppers, stirring, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
Spread potato slices evenly in an oiled 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Top with peppers, then tomatoes and fish, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fish with lemon juice.
To make the Charmoula Sauce: Puree all sauce ingredients except oil in a food processor or blender. With motor running, add oil in a slow stream.
Pour sauce evenly over fish and bake in middle of oven until fish is just cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.