Cod Salad: Insalata di Baccala
- 1 1/2 pounds baccala (salted cod), soaked in several changes of water for 48 hours
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1 bunch mint, leaves finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1 small fresh hot chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 head chicory, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring 2 quarts of water to a simmer and add the baccala. Cook for 5 minutes, then drain, and set aside in a bowl, to cool.
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot over high heat, and add 2 tablespoons salt. Add the cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and allow to cool.
Place the cooled cauliflower in a large bowl. Flake the baccala with a fork and add to the cauliflower, along with the parsley, mint, chile, chicory, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss well to coat and serve.