- 1 quart crushed unsalted crackers or breadcrumbs
- 1 quart regular mayonnaise
- 6 eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Your favorite seasonings, such as all-purpose crab seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, seafood seasoning
- 6 pounds Smith Island crab, deluxe blend
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Burger buns
- Sliced tomato, if desired
- Lettuce, if desired
Cook's Note: Smith Island crab uses the whole crab (claw, lump and special combined), no need to worry about picking through for shells - it's shell free.
Thoroughly combine the crackers, mayonnaise and eggs in a large bowl, and season with salt, pepper and your favorite additional seasonings. Fold in the crab meat to combine, taking care to not break up the meat too much. Use a 1/2-cup ice cream scoop (not packing it in too tightly) to form the cakes, and then transfer to a container with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate at least 1 hour prior to cooking.
Preheat the oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Fry the crab cakes in batches until golden brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plates to drain, if needed, and then serve on burger buns with lettuce and tomato slices, if using.
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.