Cranberry Relish with Pears and Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 medium shallot, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- One 12-ounce package fresh cranberries (3 cups), half roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced
- 1 Bosc pear, peeled, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger and shallots and cook until the shallots are softened, 2 minutes, and then pour in the sherry and vinegar and simmer until the liquid is almost completely absorbed, 3 minutes. Stir in the sugar, lemon zest, whole cranberries and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the cranberries begin to burst and the mixture is thick and syrupy, 20 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl and let cool slightly.
Fold in the chopped cranberries, walnuts, scallions and pears and season with the salt and pepper. Chill until ready to serve.