Creamy Cobb Potato Salad
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices, thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/3-inch strips (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 cups shredded light-colored romaine leaves, from the core
Put the diced potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Salt the water generously. Bring to a simmer and cook until you can pierce the potato with a paring knife, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in a colander.
In the meantime, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Carefully lower the eggs into the water and simmer for 13 minutes. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water. When the eggs have cooled, peel and dice them. Set aside.
While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste. Add the still-warm potatoes to the bowl of dressing and toss. Set aside to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
Add the bacon strips to a large skillet and turn the heat to medium. Stir periodically and cook until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate.