Curried Coconut Vegetable Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 cups Thai young coconut meat
- 1 scallion
- 1/2 to 1 1/4 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1 to 2 pitted, medium dates
- 1 to 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons shiitake powder or wheat-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon red or green curry paste, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lime 1 tablespoon lime juice (zest lime first reserve for noodles)
- 1/4 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 5 cups coconut water
- 1 (12-ounce) package kelp noodles
- Lime zest
- Peeled and grated fresh ginger
- Chile flakes, as needed
- Toasted sesame oil, to taste
For the soup base:
Place the coconut meat, scallion, jalapeno pepper, dates, garlic, ginger, curry powder, shiitake powder, curry paste, salt, 1 tablespoon lime juice, tamarind paste, in a high speed blender adding just enough coconut water to cover the ingredients. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding the remaining coconut water in a thin and steady stream through the top of the blender while the blender is running. Serve at room temperature or heat, if desired. Set aside.
For the kelp noodles:
Rinse the kelp noodles in water. Drain well and cut to desired length. Place the noodles in a bowl and toss with the lime zest, lime juice, grated fresh ginger, chile flakes, and toasted sesame oil, to taste. Set aside, approximately 15 minutes to soften.
Cook's Note: Noodles can be used plain in the soup, however, if time permits, marinating them adds a burst of flavor and is preferred.
For the vegetable mixture for the soup:
Choose your favorite seasonal Asian vegetables. Slice thin or shredded for an array of color and texture in your dish.
Place approximately a 1/2 cup noodles in a deep bowl, top with vegetables of your choice, adding the soup base, as desired. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with lime wedges.