Panzanella with Feta and Basil
- 1/2 large loaf rustic country bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 of a 10-ounce loaf ciabatta (about 2 cups diced)
- 8 plum tomatoes, about 1 3/4 pounds, tops cut off and quartered and sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced thin (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup capers, drained
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small bunch basil leaves, rinsed, thinly sliced, reserve some for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in oven 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
Combine the bread with tomatoes, shallots and capers and let sit for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add olive oil and balsamic vinegar to a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, whisk and add to bread. Add feta and basil to the bowl. Lightly toss with wooden spoon. Plate panzanella, garnish with basil leaves and serve.