Fabio's Lazy Tuna
- 6 potatoes, boiled, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili peppers
- Bunch fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tablespoons, lemon rinds or zest
- Bunch fresh basil, torn
- 8 peeled plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, add the potatoes, garlic, chili peppers, a pinch of parsley, salt, and black pepper, to taste. Add 3/4 cup of olive oil and mix well. Spread the potato mixture on an ovenproof pan, packing the mixture so it serves as a solid bed for the tuna.
Spread half of the fennel seeds, lemon rinds, basil and pieces of plum tomato sparingly on top of the potato mixture. Add the tuna slices on top, covering the baking dish. Spread the remainder of the lemon rinds, crushed fennel seeds, and pieces of plum tomatoes on top of the tuna. Generously sprinkle with the bread crumbs, and drizzle the remaining extra-virgin olive oil on top.
Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes.