Gateau di Patate: Potato Cake
- 6 potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons/60 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup/250 ml pancetta, diced
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup/125 ml freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup/125 ml freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 1/2 cup/125 ml Parmigiano, cut into chunks
- 1 cup 250 ml bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Boil the potatoes until fork tender and let cool.
Add an egg, the cooked onions and pancetta, the grated Parmigiano cheese, Parmigiano chunks and salt, and black pepper, to taste. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Grease a baking dish with the remaining olive oil and add half the bread crumbs to the base of the dish and set aside.
Transfer the potato mixture to the baking dish and spread the mixture evenly over the pan, packing the mixture so it serves as a solid bed. Add the remaining bread crumbs on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bread crumbs are golden brown.