Domilise's Off-the-Menu Special
DOMILISE'S OFF-THE-MENU SPECIAL:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 10 ounces extra-small Louisiana wild-caught shrimp (size 61/70)
- 6 ounces store-bought fish batter mix
- 16 ounces fish fry cornmeal coating
- 11 inches French bread, such as Leidenheimer Baking Company
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 pickle slices
- Hot sauce
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
For the gravy: Add the beef broth, Italian seasoning and steak seasoning to a large stockpot; mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and continue cooking, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees F. Alternatively, fill a cast-iron pot halfway with vegetable oil and heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 365 degrees F.
Halve the bread lengthwise. Spread the mayonnaise on the top half of the bread, then add the lettuce, ketchup, pickle slices and some hot sauce. On the bottom half of the bread, layer the cheese and fried shrimp, and then pour 1/4 cup of the hot gravy over the shrimp. Close the two bread halves and slice the sandwich in half to serve.