Dooky Chase's Shrimp Gumbo
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 pound small white shrimp (30/40), peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces Creole hot sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces beef stew meat, cubed
- 8 ounces smoked ham, cubed
- 6 chicken wings, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon file powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 dozen oysters, with their liquid
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
Heat the oil in a skillet over low heat and add the flour to make a roux, browning until golden about 3 minutes. Add the onions and cook over low heat until the onions wilt about 4 minutes.
Put the shrimp, sausages, stew meat and ham in a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Pour the onion mixture over the ingredients and add 3 quarts water, the chicken wings, file powder, paprika and salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes or until broth reaches desired thickness.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.