Double Cheese Pita Pizzas
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces Italian turkey sausage, removed from the casings
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- One 10-ounce package frozen leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and roughly chopped
- 1 1/4 cups 2-percent cottage cheese
- 4 whole-wheat pitas, preferably pocketless
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions (about 1/2 small onion)
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach and continue to cook until well mixed and the spinach is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Put the cottage cheese in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Lay the pita breads on 2 baking sheets and evenly brush with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Evenly spread with the pureed cottage cheese to the edge of each pita and then top with the sausage mixture, red onions and shredded cheese.
Bake until the pita is crisp around the edges and the cheese is melted, 12 to 15 minutes. Scatter with the basil.
Per serving: Calories: 377; Total Fat: 16 grams; Saturated Fat: 6 grams; Protein: 28 grams; Total carbohydrates: 33 grams; Sugar: 4.5 grams; Fiber: 6 grams; Cholesterol: 39 milligrams; Sodium: 921 milligrams