El Toro Burger
PICKLED RED ONIONS:
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef (or you could grind your own, like we do!)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces cured Spanish chorizo picante, sliced thin
- 3 ounces manchego cheese, sliced
- Butter, for buttering buns
- 3 hamburger buns (or you could make them, like we do!)
- Garlic aioli, for spreading
- Arugula, for serving
For the pickled red onions: Put the onions in a nonreactive heatproof bowl. Place the sugar, vinegar, salt and 1 cup water in a pot and bring to a boil. Pour the mixture over the red onions and let cool at room temperature. Place in the fridge and keep in the liquid until ready to use. These are better when they get to marinate for a few days.
For the burgers: Preheat a grill. Divide the meat to make 3 burgers, about 5 ounces each. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Put the burgers on the grill. Once grill marks appear, turn the burger 45 degrees to get beautiful cross marks and leave for about 2 minutes. Flip the burgers over and shingle the chorizo over the top. Place the cheese on top of that, cover and grill until the cheese melts and the burgers are cooked to desired doneness. Butter the burger buns and place on the grill until toasted.