Black-Eyed Pea and Spinach Salad
- 1/2 pound dried black-eyed peas, or 2 cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water (if using dried peas)
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery (2 stalks)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 2/3 of a 6-ounce bag), sliced into thick ribbons
If using dried peas:
In a large bowl, cover peas with 4 inches of water and soak a minimum of 6 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
Place peas in a 4-quart saucepan with chicken broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer peas between 45 to 55 minutes, or until peas are cooked but not mushy. Drain excess liquid and let peas cool to room temperature.
In a salad bowl, combine beans, red onion, celery and chives. Pour dressing over bean mixture and gently stir to incorporate, being careful not to break up too many of the beans. Add spinach and toss to coat. Season with additional salt, pepper and hot sauce, to taste. Serve immediately.