Chili-Rubbed Steak Tacos
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 pound top sirloin steaks cut 1-inch thick
- 12 small corn tortillas (5 to 6 inches in diameter)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 2 cups Avocado Lime Salsa, recipe follows
In a small bowl stir together chili powder, garlic, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper. Rub spice mixture on both sides of steaks.
Grill or broil steaks for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium rare, turning once. Remove from grill and let meat sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Carve into thin slices.
Warm tortillas by placing them on the grill, for about 30 seconds, turning once. Or place 6 tortillas at a time between 2 moist paper towels and microwave for 45 seconds. Wrap in cloth napkin or place in a tortilla warmer to keep warm. Place the carved steak, warm tortillas, cabbage, cilantro, lime and Avocado Lime Salsa in serving dishes and let diners make their own tacos at the table.
Place cucumber, avocado and onion in a large bowl and add lime juice and salt. Add cilantro and chiles and toss gently.
Yield: 2 cups (1 serving is 1/3 cup)