Pasta with Escarole, White Beans and Chicken Sausage
- 3/4 pound whole-wheat bowtie (or other shape) pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces lowfat Italian-style chicken sausage, casings removed, crumbled
- 1 medium head escarole, rinsed, drained and chopped, about 8 cups
- 1(14-ounce) can low-sodium cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan
Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large, deep saute pan or 8-quart stockpot. Saute the onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional 1 minute. Stir in the sausage and cook until heated through and browned, about 4 minutes. Add the escarole and cook until wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the beans, 1 cup of chicken stock, sage and red pepper flakes and simmer until the mixture is heated through and liquid is slightly reduced. Add the
sausage-bean mixture to pasta and toss well, loosening with the additional 1/2 cup chicken stock if necessary. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste.