- 1 boneless pork butt, about 5 pounds, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Rustic Rub, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons file powder
- 3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container.
Prepare the smoker. In a mixing bowl, toss the pork with the remaining ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and pass the meat through a meat grinder with a 1/2-inch die attachment. Remove half of the meat and pass through the grinder a second time. Stuff 1/2 the sausage into 1 1/2-inch casings. Tie the casings at 4-inch intervals for individual links. Form the remaining mixture into 4-ounce patties. Place the casings and patties in the smoker and smoke for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the smoker and cool.