Cal-Mex Veggie Breakfast Burrito
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from about 2 cobs
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup grated queso blanco (Mexican white cheese)
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas, gently warmed and kept covered until ready to use
Set a nonstick, 10-inch saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to the pan and once hot, add the bell peppers, onion, corn, jalapeno and garlic to the pan. Cook the vegetables, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, about 10 to 12 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, remove from the heat and put on a plate to cool.
While the vegetables cool, return the pan to the heat and in a medium bowl, combine the eggs, heavy cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper. Use a whisk to beat the eggs until frothy. Add the butter to the pan and once melted, pour the beaten eggs into the pan and use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan to ensure that the eggs cook evenly. After 2 minutes the eggs should still be a bit wet, sprinkle the cilantro over the eggs, followed by the grated cheese and remove from the heat.
Fold the eggs over themselves until the cheese is melted and divide the eggs between the 4 tortillas in a strip that runs along the bottom edge of the tortillas. Divide the sauteed vegetables between the tortillas, and fold the left and right side of the tortilla over the center portion and then roll the bottom edge up towards the top. Continue with the 3 remaining tortillas and serve while warm.