Classic Cobb Salad
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 pound raw bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice from one fresh lemon
- 1/2 pound Maytag Blue cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 Beefsteak tomato, peeled, seeded and small diced
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 2 heads of Bibb Lettuce, washed, patted dry and thinly sliced
EMERIL'S ESSENCE CREOLE SEASONING (ALSO REFERRED TO AS BAYOU BLAST):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Preheat the grill. Season the chicken breast with olive oil and Essence. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill and small dice the chicken. In a skillet, over medium heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together. Whisk in 1/4 pound of the blue cheese, a handful at a time. Whisk well. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Using a knife, dice the avocado. Season with salt and pepper. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Thinly slice the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Mound the lettuce in the center of each plate. To garnish each salad, make a row of each; avocados, chicken, tomatoes, remaining blue cheese, bacon and eggs. Serve immediately.