Cold Seafood Salad
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for the water
- 1 pound (U20/25) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 small squid, bodies and tentacles, cleaned and cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1 clove garlic, minced to a paste
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1/4 cup Castelvetrano olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup celery leaves
- 2 tablespoons mint, chiffonade
- 2 heads endive
Bring a 6-quart pot of water to a boil; add enough salt to make the water taste salty. Add the shrimp and cook until they are opaque, about 1 minute. Transfer the shrimp to an ice bath. Add the squid to the pot and cook for 45 seconds and transfer to the ice bath. Cook the bay scallops for 45 seconds and transfer to the ice bath. Drain in a colander and pat dry.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, red pepper and salt. Stir in the celery, shallot and olives. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the seafood and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
When ready to serve, add the celery leaves and mint and toss again.
Arrange the endive leaves on 4 plates and evenly distribute the seafood among the plates.