- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Essence, recipe follows
- 4 (12-14 ounce) each steaks, Porterhouse, T-bone, Strip Loin, Rib or Tenderloin Steak
- 2 cups julienne assorted Exotic mushrooms
- 1 cup julienne onions
- 1 large onion, ring into rings, about 1/8-inch thick
- 1/4 cup Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup flour
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup mashed roasted root vegetables
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- Salt and pepper
ESSENCE (EMERIL'S CREOLE SEASONING):
Preheat the grill In a shallow bowl, combine the olive oil and Essence, to make a paste. Smear each steak with the rub, covering the entire steak completely. Marinate the steaks for about an hour. Place the steaks on the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the grill and each steak on a cedar plank. Toss the mushrooms and onions with salt and pepper. Mound the vegetables on top of each steak and place back on the grill.
Cook the steaks on the plank for 4 minutes for medium rare. Toss the onion rings in the Tabasco. Dredge the onions in the flour. Fry the onions until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the fryer and season with salt and pepper. In a sauce pan, combine the roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes together.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.